6 Ways Essential Oils Can Improve Your Life

15:43

An essential oil is the natural fragrant essence taken from flowers, leaves, bark, roots, fruit peel and mandarins. For example, the burst of fragrance you get when peeling an orange is an essential oil. These are extracted via different methods for their various benefits to your mood or well being.

If you're thinking this all sounds a bit airy-fairy, there is actually science to back it up. Research has revealed that we respond strongly to smell in the limbic brain, the part that contains emotions and memories. This is why a certain smell can take you back to a specific moment in your life. The more you know.

Different oils have different benefits, and these can be mixed to create aromatherapy blends, however you should never use essential oils neat on the skin, as they can irritate. Here's some ways in which essential oils play a part in my every day life and why.

De-Stressing After Work

I struggle to slow my brain down after a busy shift at work, so i'll sometimes pop some lavendar oil in my electric diffuser to fill the room and chill me out. Lavendar is also one of my favourite scents so that's an added bonus.

To Create Your Very Own Bath Blend

For an amazingly detoxing bath, mix 1 cup of epsom salt and 2 drops of lavendar, peppermint and lemon. Treat yourself!

For A Restful Sleep

I often struggle to sleep, so if i'm having one of those nights I blend 3 drops of lavendar and 3 drops of cedarwood in my diffuser.

During Your Period

I like to use Women's Balance by Neal's Yard Remedies when I'm due or on my period. It's very balancing, so great when your emotions are a bit out of whack.

To Uplift Your Mood

Lemon is an extremely uplifting scent and another one of my favourites, so this one is definitely handy when you're having a down day and need a pick me up. Try adding a few drops to a bowl of hot water and inhaling for a few minutes. 

To Soothe Sore Joints

Joint pain is a regular thing for me. Eucalyptus and ginger oils are anti-inflammatory and soothing when mixed in a carrier oil and massaged into the skin. I use it for my repetitive strain injury on a weekly basis.

Will you try any of these methods?

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.